History of Gretna Covenant
Gretna Covenant was originally founded in 1896 as Gretna Presbyterian, a mission of St. Charles Presbyterian church. The first pastor was Rev. Louis Voss from 1900 to 1936. The original church building was erected on the corner of Amelia and 3rd Street in Gretna, LA in 1905. The current church building was erected in 1958 and renovated in 1993.
In 2013 the congregation voted to leave the Presbyterian Church USA and joined The Evangelical Covenant Church. In 2019 Gretna Covenant voted to also join the New Orleans Baptist Association, and was welcomed into the association in October of 2019. We believe this dual alignment affords the church the doctrinal affirmation and ministerial support the church needs to grow to be an effective church on the Westbank.